Sculptor and Painter
In the heart of the ancient olive grove, in the foothills of the Ein Hod artist village, one can find Hed Shmueli’s sculpture and design studio. Each visit to the studio is a fascinating experience for guests as they are able to view many different creative processes which change according to the nature of the project.
Hed evolved into his artistic path at an early age while assisting his father, the sculptor, Yitzhak Shmueli and studying at the Wizo high school of the arts in Haifa.
At the age of twenty, after his father’s death, Hed began creating in his own right. As part of his artistic development, he spent an extended period in Africa learning new and different techniques from local artists. Upon his return to Israel he, together with his family, established a studio in the olive grove and he also began studying homeopathic medicine with Joseph Reves.
Hed employs and trains artists from many countries, and in the creative and active studio one can see the large works as they are being created.
Surrounding the studio are a hundred of ancient olive trees for which Hed cares and prepares organic olive oil for commercial use.
Finally, Hed, together with his wife, Bat-El, who runs the “Magical Ethiopian Experience”, gives lectures to Israeli and foreign organizations on subjects such as Africa-Israel and Art and Jewish Identity.
Discovering Jewish identity while on a journey of wandering among African tribes to leant about their art.
What is the source of creativity? – The story of Hed, from his childhood in his father’s studio to his evolvement as an artist in his own right.
Partial list of works:
• A totem sculpture of desert animals at the entrance to the city of Arad.
• A huge wooden sculpture of a fish at Haifa beach.
• A park of wooden elephants and totem poles in the Hai Park – Kiryat Motzkin
• Works of the children’s wing of Tel Has homer Hospital
• Dream sculpture park in Zichron Ya’acov
• Sculpture gardens – Home of Izzie Shapiro
• Playground sculpture corner for children – Ben Gurion Airport
• Totem Pole – Ben Gurion Airport
• Schneider sculpture garden in Holon
• Playground sculpture gardens – KFar Saba
• A totem sculpture seagal in natanya